The Race of Gentlemen
Stultz & Son Productions organizes rolling automotive exhibitions to transport spectators and racers to a moment in time once forgotten and to celebrate authenticity in American car and motorcycle culture. Along with The Race of Gentlemen, it also celebrates motorcycle speed with The Frozen Few, a two-wheel race set in wintery conditions in a variety of locations during the winter.
Meldon Van Riper Stultz III, Co-founder of The Race of Gentlemen, resides in Asbury Park, New Jersey. He owns an assemblage of vehicles ranging from 1919-1941, including Harley-Davidsons and other motorcycles, 1929 and 1934 Ford Roadsters, and a 1934 Ford Panel Truck with the Harley-Davidson logo on it. In 2010, Stultz took the helm of the Oilers Club, originally established in 1945. He and the Oilers then created The Race of Gentlemen to recreate automobile and motorcycle racing from the club’s golden era and to reinvent the typical stagnant car show as a living, breathing, dynamic weekend that is “The Greatest Race on Earth.”
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, CHILDREN OF ALL AGES…
Join us to experience the greatest race on earth! The Race of Gentlemen is an automotive carnival that celebrates American racing heritage. A true homage to automobile and motorcycle history, hosted by the Oilers CC/MC. Spectators and racers alike will experience a simplier time of when guys were gentlemen and cars were king! Stultz & Green Productions will exhibit their hand-selected group of gentlemen, who will showcase their pre-war machines at the water’s edge on the beach of Wildwood, New Jersey. Commonly referred to as TROG for short, the carefully curated event will give you a history lesson and an unforgettable weekend, all rolled into one.
Race fans, hold onto your seats while vintage motorcycles and automobiles battle it out on the shore against the rising tides for your viewing pleasure. Indian, Harley Davidson, Excelcior, Ford, Dodge Brothers and more! An extraordinary display of why America’s love for vintage automotive will never fade. Do not miss your chance to see these fine men flog their jaw dropping machines on the sand, just like in days gone by. Come one, come all to watch in awe as they roar at the shore!
Oilers Car Club
A Brief History…
It all started one cold night in November, 1947, when 8 young men from Carlsbad, CA came together over coffee at the APEX cafe. It was there that they transformed their dreams of forming a roadster and custom car club into a reality. That evening the Oilers were born and their first president, Jim Nelson, lead the charge. These young men had one common bond; speed! In just a few short months, the membership grew and in mid-1948, Nelson’s passion for racing brought the Oilers members and the Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) together. Nelson’s friend and SCTA founder, Wally Parks, announced his plans to form the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA), in 1949. Nelson stepped up to help and became one of their earlier technical inspectors. The Oilers became heavily involved, forming the San Diego Timimg Association (SDTA) and hosted some of the first NHRA drag racing events as Paradise Mesa. Jim Nelson and his partner, Dode Martin, formed the world famous Dragmasters company. Considered by many to be the inventors of the modern dragster, many of which still campaign today.
Fast forward to 2008, when a group of young traditional hot rod enthusiasts found a copy of Robert Genat’s book, “The Birth of Hot Rodding, The Story of the Dry Lakes Era.” Rich with stories and color-Kodachrome photographs taken by WWII photographer and founding Oilers member, Don Cox. A new infatuation of automotive history and car club culture was ignited. Tired of boring jacket clubs and parking lot car shows, this new generation of men set out to create a car club/motorcycle club with meaning. After reaching out to Robert Genat, the soon-to-be Oilers were put in touch with the one and only, Jim Nelson, the Oilers founder. During a private meeting in Nelson’s home, the group heard stories first hand as Nelson relived the good ole days. The laughs and tears rolled faster than Nelson’s nitro fueled 1929 Ford roadster on a dry lake bed. An instant bond was formed and Nelson, with no hesitation, passed the torch on, opening a new chapter in the Oilers history.
A new brotherhood was formed, with a total of 10 hand-picked members spanning from coast to coast with a promise to carry on the legacy that began that early November night. Their collection of automobiles is impressive, to say the least, and their determination to bring back racing as it once was is unwaivering. The Oilers have always shared a common ground; to build machines for speed, endurance and beauty, keeping a time honored sport of competition alive! Living up to the promise made to Nelson, the Oilers’ legacy has continued with true authenticity and pride.
Oilers Car Club founder Jim Nelson at El Mirage in 1950
Founder Jim Nelson’s 1929 roadster on 1932 rails. Notice the lack of front brakes as this car was strictly for competition. This car also displays the “Masters Auto Supply” logo that would later be seen on the Dragmasters famous Dode Martin/Jim Nelson Dragliner Special.
Aprox. 1949 Oilers club members planning their next build.
Allen Christopherson behind the drivers seat and front passenger is Bob Telford. In the back seat on the left is Melford Robbins, in the center is Red Lewis and on the right is Jim Nelson. Melford Robbins’ red 1940 Ford Kustom is seen in the background. Photo taken at the “bug barn”, a chicken shed behind Jim Nelson’s house.
Oilers member “Dago” Cantarini’s sister in law
Dolores Proctor mugging for the camera with the Oilers guys at Jim Nelson’s house. Dolores never smoked and she thought this picture was a riot. Oilers member Melford Robbins’ red 1940 Ford Kustom is seen in the background on the right.
New batch of photos discovered!
Oiler Melford Robbins 1940 Ford Kustom from front (seen previously from rear in color photos) had removable Carson style top. Roadster is Oiler Banning “Dago” Cantarini’s roadster, a narrowed 1927 “T” on and Essex frame powered by a Stroked Mercury engine with Offy heads and manifold and Pounden mag.